California WaterFix: The Delta Tunnels
Commission Activity on the Proposal
- The Commission’s request to the US Army Corps of Engineers for an extension of the comment deadline on their California WaterFix permit request and asking for public hearings in the Delta was denied. The response and the Commission’s reply are available here.
- The Delta Protection Commission submitted a comment letter on November 9, 2015 to the US Army Corps of Engineers urging the Corps to defer consideration of the California WaterFix permit request.
- On October 30, 2015, the Commission submitted a comment letter on the California WaterFix Draft Environmental Impact Report and the Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement. The comments received during this public comment period have been posted on the Bay Delta Conservation Plan website.
Previous Commission Actions
- Delta Protection Commission issued a comment letter on July 24, 2014, reviewing the Bay Delta Conservation Plan proposal for consistency with its Land Use and Resource Management Plan for the Delta. See the letter and associated table.
- Photo Simulations of Tunnel Conveyance Proposal Impacts. In May of 2014, the Commission released photo simulations of the impact that the proposed Bay Delta Conservation Plan may have on the communities of Clarksburg and Hood. For detailed photo simulations, see the animation on YouTube or see the first, second and third layouts. (NOTE: These are very large files, download times may vary)
- DWR’s Response to Photo Simulations. In response to the photo simulations released in May 2014, the Department of Water Resources developed their own presentation. See it here.
- The Commission considered proposed comments on the Bay Delta Conservation Plan and EIR/EIS at its regular meeting on May 22, 2014. See the agenda with related documents, including proposed comments.
- Commission staff conducted a public workshop on April 28, 2014 to hear the concerns of Delta residents about the BDCP and EIR/EIS. See the report.
- At its May 23, 2013 meeting, the Commission voted to oppose the Bay Delta Conservation Plan as currently proposed. See the May 30, 2013 letter here.
- At its January 24, 2013 meeting, the Commission voted to request review of alternatives to the Bay Delta Conservation Plan proposal, including a portfolio-based conceptual alternative. See the Commission’s February 1, 2013 letter to Secretaries Ken Salazar and John Laird.